Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Office

So my pictures just uploaded backwards and you'll see the point of the title of this post after about 4 pictures.  How frustrating is that.  Oh well... as you can see below, this is Bailey's new chair.  She is very thankful that we moved the papasan chair down into the living room for her pleasure.  We all have our spots to sit now in the living room.... Zach takes the couch, I have the recliner and Bailey has the papasan.  Works for me.  What a cute little pup.



I'm about to show you one of my most favorite Christmas presents from this year.  You may ask... how could a trash can be that great.  Well here are my top ten list of reasons.... 

10.  It's pretty.
9.  It matches our kitchen well.
8.  It's bigger than the last one.
7.  It holds in trash smells better than the last one. 
6.  It has a cool foot pedal to open it.
5.  You don't have to worry about the trash bag falling inside of the trash can, if you know what I mean. 
4.  It's not an eyesore. 
3.  Can I say it's pretty again.
2.  The lid stays on. 
And the #1 reason... not once since using this trash can has Bailey been able to tip it over and get all the trash strewn across the floor.  This was the main reason for being on my Christmas list this year and I'm sooooo thankful to have gotten this pretty Stainless Steel SimpleHuman trash can.  Thanks mom and dad!



The most sentimental gift of the season... (besides the really pretty necklace that Zach gave me) was this Rooster than now sits on top of my fridge.  My dad got both my sister and I roosters for our kitchens and we had to pick.  I let me sister pick first and so this is the one that I got.  My dad watched at Tom Thumb for this litle guy to go on sale and he got a steal.  So you may ask, what's the significance of a Rooster.  I sure didn't know until I got one for Christmas....  Well in Portugal it's the symbol of good luck.  So I guess that if you have one in your kitchen, your cooking is supposed to be better than before.  Well see if that holds true in 2009


And now to the point of the title of the post....

And no, I'm not speaking of the ever popular TV show on NBC... I'm talking about our office in the spare bedroom on the second floor of our house.  It is getting a complete and much needed makeover.  Part of our Christmas present was the flooring for this room.  Getting the flooring, just made all sorts of ideas run through Zach's head and so now we have a very large project on our hands that needs to be done in about a week.  Zach starts back to school on January 20th and I'd like for the room to be ready to put back together by then.  ;-)  We'll see if that happens. 

This the point that we are at right now... the carpet has been ripped out and the walls are being painted a new coat of white.  When we moved into this house we did a lot of stuff, but we didn't touch this room, so the paint is much needed.


The wall that you see in the pic has a fresh coat of white paint.  It's looking lovely.

The ceiling has been scraped... we figured since we were ripping the carpet out we might as well get the popcorn off the ceiling.  It's gonna look so much better as a flat ceiling.

This is the opening to the closet that Zach modified... you'll see the old opening in later pics.  It's now going to have double doors and be much more accessible.

Here's the whole opening for the closet door... another handy thing that Zach added was a light in the closet.  Not sure why they didn't put those in to begin with, but now it won't be a problem.  It's gonna be a cool light too... when you open the door, it comes on and when you close it it goes off.  I'll never forget to flip the switch that way.  ;-)


This is the closet with the new frame... before any drywall was put up.

Oh yes... this is the part that we don't like to discuss... I would like to forget that it's there, but it's somewhat hard when you wake up and go to bed with this mess.  We moved everything that was in the office into the cubby in our bedroom.  Good thing is that this is on Zach's side of the bed... I don't think that I could stand it if it was on mine.
And this is the beginning of the demolition.  It was a mess... what am I saying, it's still a mess.


The original closet door opening.  A 24 inch wide door for a closet that was at least 6 feet long.  It's too small of an opening.  It will be much more functional now.  

Let me just say... I'm working on a mac right now, and it's not cooperating with me... it could be the user.  I'm just saying, I don't get it like a PC.  

I will be glad when this project is finished, so that the entire house can be deep cleaned... right now there are layers of dust on every object and it's definitely doing a number on my allergies. Well I'll let you know how we progress... and for now, I must go get to painting.  

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Hey, I found your blog. I am impressed with all of the home improvements! It's nice to be married to a handyman, isn't it? We, too, got a trash can very much like the one y'all got. We love it!
-Brooke (Michael Hall's wife)