Monday, March 28, 2011

Naming Twins

No pictures and no doctors visits this week. Sorry guys. I did have a doctor appointment last week with my OB. Just the normal checkup and listen to the little ones heart beats. Everything was great. At my appointment, I was 23 weeks and 5 days and I was measuring 33 weeks (if I were only carrying one baby.) I can only imagine what I will be like at my next appointment. Probably measuring 38 weeks and I will still have at least 8 weeks left to carry the babies (as long as all goes as planned.) Man, the time seems to be flying by. I also found out that my doctor will be having her baby (as long as all goes as planned) on June 12th by c-section. So that confirmed the fact that she won't be the one to deliver me. I'll probably start seeing the other doctors in the practice soon, so that I can be familiar with whoever will be there to deliver me. So now that I have left you in suspense for the last week and a half... here are the babies names....
Truett Reid Shirley

Ellis Jay Shirley

The story of how these names came about... when we went in to our very first appointment at 6 weeks, we had an idea of names for both a boy and a girl, but we had no idea that we would need to have two names until the ultrasound. So we found out at Thanksgiving that we would need to come up with two names.... 2 boys, 2 girls, or the best option for us would have been a boy name and a girl name. Well at the beginning of January, we found out it was most likely two boys and by the end of January we knew for sure that they were two boys. But before that time we had already started thinking about names. We had actually made some good ideas for boys names and we were no where with girl names.


Truett - was the name for a boy that we had picked all along. If we were just having one boy this was going to be his name because we liked it and it was unique. I only know of two people named Truett and I don't even know them personally, Truett S. Cathy, the founder of Chick-fil-A and Truett McKeehan, TobyMac's oldest son. Love it and also like that his name can be shortened to True or Tru.


Reid - Zach's middle name. Easy enough you would think, but Truett went through several variations because Zach wasn't sold on using his middle name. I on the other hand liked it from the very beginning, but it took some convincing. We had some other options, but I didn't like the one he liked and he didn't like the one that I liked... so we went back to the basics and are now happy with Reid.


Ellis Jay - This was the name that I threw out there I believe once we kinda knew that we were having two boys back at the beginning of January. I was thinking about our family names and this just worked for me.... Ellis is my dad's middle name Edward Ellis Kilgore, which is actually my dad's great grandmother's maiden name, Mary Caledonia Ellis Kilgore. Jay is Zach's dad's middle name, Rickey Jay Shirley. I'm not sure if there is history behind this name, but I do know that Zach's youngest brother also has the middle name Jay, so we're just going to be carrying that on.


As far as who is whom, we believe that Baby A is Truett and Baby B is Ellis as that is the order that they should come out.


So that's the story.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

LOVE the names, different and original, without being "weird". Thanks for sharing them!

Unknown said...

Great names Alyson!

John said...

I award your one bajillion points for not rhyming them or making them sound alike in any way. Well done.

Zach and Alyson said...

Thanks John for the points! I forgot to mention that in the post, but that was something that we were pretty adament about as well. We want these little boys to be individuals and not be matchy matchy. ;-)

Miss G said...

great names you guys! Kelly