Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A recap...

The past week and a half has been crazy busy around the Shirley household. Let's start with last Friday... since Zach had that evening off, we arranged for our twice annual Dave & Buster's night with our friends. The small group minus two couples, plus my friend, Kristin and her boyfriend, Luke all went out to eat and play games. There were 12 in all... the largest group that I have treated with my blue card. I'm so thankful for these wonderful friends and I'm also very thankful for the means to be able to treat them to a special night.

Shevawn & Sarah (with Baby Girl Kirksey) playing Skee-Ball.

Zach beating everyone else at Daytona racing.

Holly, me, Sarah and Shevawn... (I feel like I stand out in this pic, oh well.)


I think that Angela actually beat all the boys in this race... GO ANGELA!

A good time was had by all and we'll do it again in the spring hopefully!


So then a week went by... I was crazy busy at work last week with getting the financials ready and getting the auditors what they needed. I still made time to workout twice last week which I was thankful for. Then Saturday morning, the girls made a day of shopping, movies and fun... it all started with this....


We went to the Chi Omega Christmas Market at the Dallas Convention Center and spent about 4 hours shopping. I would compare it to Canton, but there wasn't as much homemade stuff there as there is at Canton. There were lots of Boutiques on display as well as more Christmas stuff than you can imagine. I had a hard time thinking of stuff that would be good for other people because I am best at shopping off a list, but I did get a few stocking stuffers. I also came away with this really cute lunch bag and a couple of ornaments for our tree. All in all - a very good experience that I would go to again. So we left the market at 2pm... so that we could make it to our afternoon matinee for this movie....


A great book I might add, but the movie left me a little bit dissatisfied. I have to give them credit the writers had to adapt a 500 page book to fit into 120 minute movie. They took a few liberties in doing so and I would say that they left out some pivotal relationships that were in the book, but overall it was good. They matched the characters very well, except for Eric who I never pictured to be Asian, but that's ok. I would recommend the movie, but not without having first read the book. Always read the books before any movie made after a book!

After spending the day, shopping and going to the movie... we came back to the McSpadden's house to have a night of "Wii are Thankful!" Thanks to the McSpadden's, we had a great non-Thanksgiving meal of Fajitas with all the fixings. We played the Wii to our hearts content (especially the game noted above, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2) and we also flipped the very sad Tech vs OU game. A great end to a very long day. So worth it! Now it's time to begin the Christmas decorating and pie making. So in order to get in that mood, we made a fire on Sunday afternoon. The first fire of the season. As you can tell Bailey enjoyed the warmth while sitting on her pillow. We're holding out turning the heat on in this house, so until we do the fires in the fireplace will keep us warm. ;)


Along with Christmas decorating, projects always come in the Shirley household. The latest project is redoing the landing at the top of the stairs. Back in the summer, Zach found flooring that was being clearanced that matched our downstairs perfectly, so he bought everything that they had. Here was the landing when we first moved in...

Here's the work in process to make it very pretty. We will stain the stair tread to match the flooring. We'll also install a facing on the stair and paint it white... this will eventually be done to the whole staircase, but we have to start small and we also have to save our pennies. It's gonna look so nice when it's done. And once that is finished we'll start on the next project, tiling the guest bathroom and laundry room. More posts about that once the project is started.Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! Eat lots of Turkey!

2 comments:

The Vranas said...

Thanks! We're really excited about it. I totally forgot that you and Leigh know each other. Such a small world.

Lindsey Eason said...

Hey girl! We're feeling like you guys lately...unending amounts of home improvements since purchasing our new house. It's fun though and very rewarding to see the finished product! Also, we went to see Twilight too and I was totally with ya' on the whole "asian thing" with Eric...BUT - went back and re-read the first book only to find that the author does in fact say that he's asian (or some other ethnicity similar to that). Hope ya'll had a very merry christmas!