Tuesday, July 7, 2009

TTFN

Bailey Shirley
Born Thanksgiving 2005 - Gone to Puppy Heaven June 28, 2009

Our sweet sweet Bailey girl passed away a week ago Sunday. I have waited a whole week to post anything because I just couldn't bring myself to say goodbye. So instead, I say Ta Ta for Now my little friend. I'm crying just writing this little tribute.

Our Bailey girl died in a tragic accident that we didn't even know could happen... we gathered up our stuff to go swimming last Sunday at my parents. Bailey came with us because that was her all time favorite thing to do. She jumped in the pool immediately. We swam for about and hour and 45 minutes and then we got her out and made her stay out of the water. She threw up several times which was nothing out of the ordinary because she drinks so much water while she's in the pool. Then she started getting very lethargic and by the time we left my parents house she couldn't hardly hold her head up. We left their house and got in the car and I was hysterical. Her heart was racing and she wasn't breathing well... we called the emergency clinic and rushed to get there, but she died in my arms on the way there. By the time we got there and she was checked out... she was already gone. They said that she suffered from hydrotoxicity, which is basically too much water intake in too little time. She couldn't get rid of all the water fast enough. I was still hysterical, crying at this point and then we had to go into the vet room to say goodbye. Very sad day... but I kept reminding myself that she died doing what she loved to do. The clinic packaged her up for us and we brought her home for burial in our backyard. My parents, who had met us up at the clinic for consoling, came back to the house for more consoling. My dad helped Zach dig the hole in the backyard along the path that she used to run. She was put in the hole in the dog coffin the vet gave us and she was buried with her first toy, a little puppy dog that had lost all its' stuffing. We cryed a lot that day and the next. I avoided being at the house by myself because I didn't have the company of Bailey. With every passing day though, it has gotten much better.

We'll miss you Bailey and we'll never forget the love that you gave us for the first three years of our marriage.



Side note: We can't handle the quietness in the house at all. We are already looking for another puppy and we may have one tonight if all goes well. Will keep you posted.

6 comments:

This Texas Momma said...

Oh friend, I'm sorry. :( I just saw on FB that you got a new puppy, and I hope this one brings you just as much joy!

The Beasley's said...

Oh Aly, I cried reading this. That was such a sweet, heart felt tribute! Dogs do such good things for our soul--I'm so glad you had her. She was so full of energy! We'll miss you Bailey girl.

Lindsey Eason said...

Oh gosh, I am so so sorry for the loss of such a sweet little dog and friend. I can only imagine how traumatic that must've been for you and your husband. I hope your new puppy fills the void that's there and that she grows to be a loving member of the family!!

Cassie said...

I'm so sorry! What a sweet post, though:)

I hope you find the perfect new puppy that can help heal your broken heart! It's amazing what lifelong impressions animals can leave on us!

Jess said...

how are you doing, friend? i am glad you blogged about it.

The Vranas said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Bailey. I had no idea that could happen. I hope you guys are slowly doing better, and that the new puppy helps with that.